Never thought I would be doing a baby shower. Most of my friends are having grand babies. I didn’t see this one coming.
So my sister (Ronni) comes home from work to tell me her boss’ boss is having their first baby and she was asked to help plan a baby shower. To give you an idea of the criteria…here is what I have to work with….IT group primarily of men mostly introverts. The baby is due June 26th, 2015 and they want the shower to happen in five days. I will be updating this post with the plan and pics. Wish me luck!!
UPDATE Day 2: So we have a plan….the team is not comfortable with a traditional shower (like we would do that with a bunch of guys), so we are doing the following:
- Potluck with sloppy joe sliders (beef and vegi)
- Fruit kabobs with honey cream cheese dip
- Macaroni salad
- Queso dip and tortilla chips
- Cupcakes (Italian blueberry and chocolate, to cover our bases)
- White chocolate dipped pretzels
- A candy bar (not as in one to split between everyone, but multiple jars of different candies coordinated with the shower colors (baby seahawk colors blue and green mellowed, which is tough coming from a couple of Bronco fans))
- And whatever anyone else brings (can you say 10 sets of chips & dip, and grocery store cookies)
Gifts & Table Scape
- A print my sister is drawing of an elephant (and possibly a giraffe) with balloons so the guys can write small blessings/wishes for the new baby and sign their name on the balloons.
- A pamper kit for the new mom that includes tea, chocolates, a candle, and lots of yummy spa products to pamper herself before and after.
- Jungle play mat we picked up off the register. We used this as the inspiration for the colors and theme of the shower.
- For the table, we are including a diaper cake in the shape of a tricycle done in blue, green, & white.
- The candy bar to include bags and scoops so the guys can take a hoard of candy to their desks
- Simple white table cloth with blue & green runner
- Gerber daisies & mums in blue, green, and white (just a few) in canning jars with blue & clear marbles in the bottom
- White porcelain serving dishes tiered for interest and height (thank goodness we saw them at pottery barn last year when they were 40% off because they are perfect for this)
Supplies stacked all over the kitchen and dining room.
Once we came up with the menu and color scheme chaos ensued…eight stores and 5 hours later we are almost ready to start preparations. Tomorrow let the cooking and creating begin…look for my next update.
FINAL Update: The shower was a big success (pics will get better I promise, taking a photography class in a few months). I had to modify the menu slightly due to supply limitations (the fruit I wanted for the fruit kabobs was not good enough to hold up on the kabobs). I made a watermelon and strawberry salad instead (recipe to come).
While the regular sloppy joes were good the vegi sloppy joes were amazing (I will post the recipe at a later date).
We also had to modify the print with the elephant & giraffe as we got to it so late we didn’t have time to draw the animals, but I think the interpretation came out great.
used a high quality watercolor paper cut to size. At the bottom of the print, in my best handwriting, I wrote “Wishes for baby!” with a flower flourish, I shadowed the words with colored pencil to add some dimension. Each balloon had a different wish for baby Zander (love, joy, imagination, adventure, fun, etc.). I will have a separate blog on this later.
I hope you enjoyed this post. See the remainder of the pictures below.